KERALA VEGETARIAN DISH – OLAN
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
Ash Gourd/Elavan/Kumbalanga : 1 cup (diced)
Bovine peas/Red-eyed Beans/Vanpayar : 1/2 cup
Pumpkin/Manthanga/Mathan : 1 cup (diced)
Green chillies : 3-4 nos (cut the long way)
Second coconut milk/Randaam paal : 1 cup
Thick coconut milk/First paal: 1/4 cup
Curry leaves: One strand
Coconut oil : 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
The most effective method to make Olan – Kerala Olan – Ash Gourd and in Coconut Milk :
1. Cook Red-eyed bean with some water in medium flame in a pressure cooker.
2. Remove the skin from the Ash gourd and pumpkin and cut into little pieces.
3. When the bean is half cooked, add the pumpkin, gourd pieces and add the secondly squeezed coconut milk into it.
4. Add salt and green chilies, when the vegetables are cooked well; include the thick coconut milk into it.
5. Lessen the fire to low and mix it gradually until the blend is cooked well and expel from the fire.
6. Season with coconut oil and a strand of curry leaves.
7. Ready to Serve and Enjoy!